The James Beard Foundation announced the finalists for its 2023 awards this morning, and while Arizona had a number of bars, restaurants, and chefs on the semifinalist list, none of them advanced to the final shortlist.
Among the semifinalist nominees were:
Best Chef: Southwest
- Rene Andrade and Roberto Centeno, Bacanora
- Fernando Hernández, Testal
- Yotaka and Alex Martin, Lom Wong
- Jaren Bates and Brett Vibber, Table at Junipine, Sedona
- Nephi Craig of Café Gozhóó, Whiteriver
- Wendy Garcia from Tumerico, Tucson
- Proper Meats + Provisions, Flagstaff
- Silvana Salcido Esparza, Barrio Café
- Christian Lowe of Shift Kitchen & Bar in Flagstaff
Outstanding Wine and Other Beverages Program
- Glai Baan, Phoenix
Outstanding Pastry Chef or Baker:
- Crystal Kass, Valentine
- JL Patisserie, Phoenix and Scottsdale
The 2023 James Beard Award winners will be announced during a ceremony taking place Monday, June 5, at Lyric Opera in Chicago.
Disclosure: Some Vox Media staff members are part of the voting body for the James Beard Awards. Eater is partnering with the James Beard Foundation to livestream the awards in 2023.